What with the miserable weather lately I decided to write chicago a list of the things i love about it to help make me less miserable and stir crazy. i really do love this city… just not most months out of the year. is that so bad?
1. The skyline. When you’re driving home from work and it’s a clear night and the sun is setting and the buildings are just beckoning you home you remember why you love it here. Or when you’re driving back from the south- aka anywhere on 55. amazing.
2. The beach. YES. chicago has beaches! no. i don’t swim in the lake. no. i don’t go to the beach often. but i love knowing it’s there.
3. Speaking of the beach, it makes for a lovely running path! The running path is beautiful in the summer and magical in the winter. Don’t run? Try rollerblading. Walking. Biking. Just watch out for the asshole bikers. most bikers are fine but some are just plain jerks.
5. Rooftop bars. From friend’s houses to actual bars drinking outside is kind of the best thing for chicagoans. really we like to drink. and be outside the few months we can. so combining the two is perfect!
6. Boistown. Yes. All big cities have ‘em. but of course Chicago’s holds a special place in my heart. And pride and market days are kind of amazing.
7. TBOX! Sure it’s only one day a year but it’s something to look forward to in that weird time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And while it gets a little crazy sometimes who doesn’t like throwing trix at random passers by while wearing a santa hat?
8. FOOOOOOOD. So much food. and i’m vegan so that’s saying something. From the diner to Karyn’s to Native Foods to Kitchen 17 to pick me up cafe to… i could go on all day. It’s a little ridiculous.
9. Sunday Funday. You can funday anywhere but Chicago really does it right. From Scarlet’s champagne bottles (with closed curtains it might as well be night!) to millions of bottomless mimosa options to make your own bloody bars from the west side to the north side there’s something for everyone!
10. Music. It’s no LA or Austin but there’s so much music here. All the big names come through. And the medium names. And the small ones. Huge venues. Small venues. Weeknights. Weekends. There’s always someone good playing.
- 3 months ago
feeling a bit under the weather today. i’ve had this bizarre cough for a couple weeks where my only symptoms were a weird cough and hoarse voice after talking a lot. but no soreness, didn’t feel sick, no congestion, etc. But yesterday i woke up in agony at 4am because swallowing hurt so bad! it was awful. i offered god a million dollars if i would never have to swallow again. that’s how bad it was. i didn’t even think “but terry- you don’t believe in god” or “if god does exist, he surely doesn’t want your money” or “you don’t have a million dollars, silly girl”. when i woke up i used my neti pot and HOLY COW. instant cure. i used my neti again last night before bed and again this morning. i don’t want that awful throat pain to come back EVER.
if you’ve never used a neti pot before they’re pretty awesome. i don’t know how that whole nose thing works but somehow you pour water in one side and it comes out the other like magic. it’s pretty cool the first time! the trick is getting the ratio of water to salt just right. if you don’t then you might have some discomfort when you’re using your neti. unfortunately i had that the first couple times i used mine, so after that i just used less water so it would be over quicker. BAD IDEA. once i finally started using the right proportions (a lot more water for the amount of salt i was using) there was zero discomfort. and of course since i do this over my bathroom sink i make faces at myself in the mirror while using it. i’m cool like that, you know.
so if you haven’t tried a neti pot and have any weird sinus issues or congestion stuff (not where your nose is blocked of course) i definitely recommend getting one. a friend of mine uses hers daily (i’m supposed to but i slack a lot) and since she started using it has gotten sick insanely less frequently. it’s crazy how just a couple minutes a day can save weeks a year of being sick!!
the one i have is at http://www.amazon.com/Himalayan-Institute-Ceramic-Neti-Pot/dp/B000WJIC3G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388854428&sr=8-2&keywords=neti+pot but they’re everywhere! happy neti-ing!
- 3 months ago
- 3 months ago
- 4 months ago
- 6 months ago
- 6 months ago
2013 chicago marathon #ownchicago
i’m running a marathon tomorrow. well… i’m going to start the marathon. we’ll see how far i get! after months of training, injuries, pain, missed runs, travel, graduating with my MBA, etc etc etc it’s finally here! i have written a million blog posts in my head but never put them down on paper but thought i should put one out there on tumblr since that’s where i got my inspiration for running in the first place. the amazing blogs of amazing runners all over the world have inspired me and have helped get me to this point! helped push me harder, keep trying, never give up, and believe anything is possible- even this former running-hater could train for a marathon.
i found a crazy statistic that says only 0.5% of the US population has run a marathon. not sure if that’s true (that seems low) but tomorrow i will join another exclusive group! (0.5% of Americans are vegan… how many vegan marathon runners are out there i wonder…)
i’m proud of myself to have made it this far. frustrated with myself for being all injured. sleepy and exhausted and ready to put this behind me.
so thank you, world. even if i never met you, thank you for the inspiration. if i have met you, thank you for the support. thank you for the love. and thank you for being out there reading this.
- 6 months ago